December 04, 2014

Green Juice for Life.

My Environmental Physician wants me to eat between 8-11 servings of organic fruits and vegetables (mostly green) a day, which is a LOT. I thought I was eating a lot of vegetables before, but apparently, I was not.

It is easy to get between 5-7 servings of veggies in my morning smoothie, which really assists me in reaching my daily nutrition goals.

I start with a base of chard juice. I use "juice" lightly here because I do not have a juicer. All of my smoothies and juices are made in a Osterizer from the 70s. Whoever told you that you need a plastic
Vitamix to make good smoothies and juices, was totally lying to you!

Base green juice:
Chard - lots of it. Remove stems to use for cooking and slice leaves thinly
Fresh Tumeric Root
Fresh Ginger Root
(Sometimes I add other greens too, such as spinach, wheatgrass, etc)
Fill blender with lots of green veggies (as much as you can fit in there - push it down) and then pour boiled water in blender to blanch veggies, stir and let sit for 6 minutes and then blend. Pour into jar, let cool and refrigerate.
I make this juice every 4-6 days. There is always some in the fridge. I also use it to cook with from time to time (instead of adding water).

In the freezer:
Frozen raw spinach
Frozen raw strawberries or blueberries (I am on the FODMAPs nutrition program, but you could use whatever fruit you like)
Frozen raw parsley stems
Frozen raw spinach stems (essentially, I keep all stems from any veggies in the freezer)
Frozen steamed carrots

And then I put it all together:
Green base juice
Frozen spinach, fruit, parsley, carrots
PLUS
Additional ginger root, hemp oil, apple cider vinegar, juice from half a lemon, almond or hemp milk, one and a half handfuls of raw sunflower seeds and a banana and BLEND IT!

Sometimes I empty the contents of a pro-biotic capsule in as well.

I drink a litre of this juice everyday (at least for the last two months).

I keep and use my blender in my "off gassing" room, which is the mud room at the back of our house. The motor gives me reactions, so I can't use it (or most other appliances) inside the house.


Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment