April 30, 2015

Hairspray & the Threat of Physical Harm

(Note: I am emotional and am working with limited brain capacity)
Second week of classes left me incapacitated for 36 hours. Twenty-seven of those hours were spent immobilized with a crushing migraine and unable to do anything. I had to have a friend come over and feed me because my partner is currently overseas. Overall, my recovery time was less than last week, but the migraine intensity was much worse. This week there was someone sitting close to me that was wearing so much hairspray, it created a toxic cloud of pollution in the classroom. I think hairspray might be the worst of all the mainstream personal-care chemical offenders because is it formulated to stick to everything in its range. I always get crushing migraines following exposures and the inside of my sinus membranes burn for hours, even after rinsing. It is torturous.
From: http://www.encino411.com/index.php/resource/page/are-hairspray-and-nail-polish-toxic
I could have asked the person wearing the hairspray to move and sit somewhere else. I could have said that I have an ‘allergy’ to their hairspray. People seem to understand the concept of ‘allergy’ more than they understand toxic encephalopathy. But I did nothing. I didn’t even put my mask on. I sat with my face in the stream of air blowing out of the air purifier and covered my face as much as possible and tried to mentally convince myself that everything was ok.
It is not ok.
 So far over the last two weeks, I have spent 5 days bedridden and incapacitated from attending school. This is greatly interfering with my mental capacity and ability to work on my thesis research. I am currently averaging a two day recovery period. This week, when my migraine came on I wept and questioned whether or not it was worth it at all. Is this degree really worth the illness that I am suffering?
It is critical for me to be able to speak up about my needs on a moment to moment basis within the classroom, but it doesn’t feel safe. Both this week and last week, there were opportunities for me (or others) to speak up, but we didn’t – I didn’t. It has been established that my school is meant to be a scent-free building. It has been established that my classroom is specifically required to be scent-free as part of a disability accommodation and yet, people continue to enter into these spaces using and wearing scented/fragranced products that cause injury to me and others.
It is an insidious and silent form of oppression that creates inequities in the classroom and other public spaces. The habits and norms of personal grooming goes largely unquestioned by our beauty-obsessed society. It is a topic that feels personal and uncomfortable, but it is important to address because the use of many scented/fragranced products create restrictive forces and barriers that immobilize and marginalize groups of people. My life has already been greatly diminished by having a disability. Oppressive and invisible forces within institutions further diminish my opportunities to follow my life plan.
I want to be able to show up in the classroom and learn alongside my colleagues without the threat of physical illness. I feel afraid to speak up because I do not want to offend others or make them feel uncomfortable about their personal care product use. I want to be able to count on my allies to speak up on my behalf, but my allies are few and far between and I am learning (from my research) that they, like me, do not know what to say or how to respond to this form of oppression.
I must find my voice in all of this. And I must be able to call out people who are making safe spaces – unsafe, even if it means that I might not be well-liked. I just want to be able to move through this life and be free from threat of physical harm. This illness has deeply ‘othered’ me and marginalized me from my communities, my friends, my colleagues and barred me from indoor public space. By going to school, I am actively putting myself into a situation where I am being physically injured. It is a very vulnerable position to be in when people hold so much power over my health. 
I realize that it is my choice to go to school. I just don’t want to go through all of this and have no one even notice that I was there or the extent of the illness that I suffered as a result of having been there. I don’t look sick. I don’t look disabled. And no one sees or knows that I spend days bedridden with crippling pain when I leave the school.

Silence is no longer an option.


6 comments:

  1. Their right to wear fragrance ends at your nose. You did not give consent to be fragranced or for your clothes to "wear" their fragrance. You have a right to breathe. Do they have a right to have every hair stiffly in place and scented? If the rule is already in place to accommodate disabilities, you need to speak up. They wouldn't make you walk in a classroom if you were in a wheelchair. Being in this class is harming your health, and your ability to learn what you are paying for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand your dillema here. It's very difficult and stressfull when you've done all the legwork to assure a safe environment and then it just isn't, and you have to speak up again and again. But you are absolutely worth it, you deserve to not be sick. I encourage you to do what's in your own best interest, even if it won't make you popular in the class. And skyping in is still an option, even though your professor claimed it wouldn't be best, if it's best for you, then by all means do it. You have a right to feel good, you don't have to suffer in silence. I've spent too much time there (suffering in silence) myself. I hope things are working out better for you. I'd love to go to grad school myself, but it's not possible being so sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note :)
      Having MCS sure doesn't make a person popular, does it?
      I hope that one day you will be able to attend graduate school if that is what you want! If I was doing it over, I would have chosen an online/distance education program. To be honest, trying to attend school is nearly impossible and I have suffered needlessly! Hindsight is 20/20 though, right?

      Delete
  3. Hi, I just completed my diploma in professional writing and editing at Victoria University (VU). Due to my chemical sensitivities, it took 4 years. All of which I was extremely sensitve to fragrances, solvents, moulds and petrochemicals. Hang in there. It's not always easy to speak up for ourselves, especially in a group situation when the majority think they are doing the right thing (for themselves) but we have to. Us canaries are paving the way for future canaries who have to struggle along this same wretched path.

    One thing that worked, finally creating a fragrance free space (apart from an air purifier) was having a tick sheet that people ticked to say they were free from wearing fragrance, hairspray and clothes with fabric softener. It was anonymous but it gave me the opportunity to decide whether to leave class or not, this way I could make a decision based on logic as opposed to having to breathe the stuff in and eventually get sick. For me, wearing a mask acted as an impediment to being able to assess the air. The tick sheet actually acted as a reminder to people to check themselves for scents. It was the Uni'so idea to do this.

    Anyway, I've deffered for a year before I go back and attempt my degree. Good luck🐰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Misha,
      Thanks for the comment and good for you for completing your diploma in professional writing! That is no easy feat. It is really really hard to be a canary in a classroom setting!
      I am curious about the 'tick sheet' you've described. Can you explain a little more about this? Was it a paper/pencil form that every student filled out at the start of class? Or? Sounds like a great idea. If you could clarify it for me, that would be great.
      So you are planning to go back to get a degree in professional writing now? Good for you!

      Delete
  4. I forgot to mention: I think you are a hero for being brave enough to walk this path. Truly an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete