October 30, 2014

The Trouble with Books

Today I wrote to the Accessible Learning Center (ALC) at my University regarding a barrier that I am having. At present, I receive my course textbooks in alternative format (electronic) because books are very inaccessible to me, especially brand new books. The issue that I am currently having is related to library books, which I am finding very inaccessible.  In the warmer weather, I would hang library books outside to air out and bake in the sun for several days/weeks before being able to be near them. I have to read my library books outdoors on windy days, but with the colder/damper weather upon us, I haven't been able to do this. Last Fall/Winter I tried sealing books in a rubbermaid with zeolite rocks, baking soda and bamboo activated carbon, but even this was not super effective. Generally, I try to limit my research to journal articles and books that are available electronically, but there are books that I simply must read for my research and am unable.  I am growing increasingly frustrated and do not know what to try next!



I did a little bit of poking around online and found this reading box, which would be absolutely perfect!  I sent the photo to the ALC requesting that one be purchased as part of my accommodation plan.  It could be signed out from the library, or perhaps signed out from the ALC on a term to term basis. 

They did not offer to purchase this fancy reading box, but they did invite me to participate in a pilot project called Accessible Content E-Portal (ACE) which gives me access to electronic copies of any book that is currently in the library!

Technology for the win!

(But I still think that box is pretty cool)

No comments:

Post a Comment